Monday, August 15, 2011

SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE


I wasn't out of bed, this morning, more than 10 minutes when poo hit the fan.  When the enemy realizes he can't get you in one area of your life, he goes for the next one.


I got up to muddy dog prints all over the kitchen floor, so I quickly and quietly started mopping them up...then I just had to open my mouth (my husband was in the kitchen eating his breakfast).  I made a harmless (what I thought was harmless) comment about the dog scratching up the hardwood...well that canon-balled into a full on fight that lasted all of 30 seconds.  Words flew out of both our mouths, the front door slams and tears start rolling.  Wow.  What a way to start the day (I'm not agreeable until I've had my cup of coffee). 

Well let me tell you, it wasn't a minute after he went out the door, I heard the notification signal for my daily Bible verse app, coming from my phone.  I picked it up and looked at it through blurry, soaking wet eyes, and the verse of the day was James 3:7-10.  

7For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea animal, can be tamed and has been tamed by human genius (nature).
    8But the human tongue can be tamed by no man. It is a restless (undisciplined, irreconcilable) evil, full of deadly poison.
    9With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who were made in God's likeness!
    10Out of the same mouth come forth blessing and cursing. These things, my brethren, ought not to be so.


Though the words I spoke were not necessarily evil, by human standards, they were evil by God's standards.  They were undisciplined and poison.  They were hurtful, and did nothing to build up my husband.  They were an offense against him.  What I understand this scripture to say, is that when say things that are hurtful to people, we are also hurting God.  He is a personal God, and His heart is broken when we behave in ways He never intended for us to behave, just as we as parents are hurt when our children behave badly.  God created us in His likeness, to be in perfect communion with Him, but when we sin, we break that communion (yes, spouting off at the mouth is a sin), and we are then separated from Him.  But the good news is, when we ask forgiveness He is anxious to forgive and bring us back into communion with Him.


Moral of the story...shut your pie hole, 'cause if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.  Have a super blessed day!

No comments: