Wednesday, December 17, 2008

In my quest to prove that you don't have to be an idiot to believe in God, I chose to use Solomon as an example.  Solomon had a passion for knowledge and wisdom.  He asked God to give him an "understanding mind and a hearing heart" so that he could discern between good and bad for the people of Israel.

God was pleased with Solomon for asking for "understanding to recognize what is just and right", rather than asking for "long life and riches".  So God gave Solomon wisdom and a discerning mind, and a long life and riches, too!  God also tells him that no one before him was equal to him and no one after him shall be equal to him.  Either he was a genius or everyone else was really stupid...

I learned that Solomon was a literary genius.  Kings came from all over to hear him speak (ref. I Kings 4:34).  He lectured on botany and zoology (ref. I Kings 4:33).  He was a political ruler who ruled over all the kingdoms from the Euphrates River to the land of the Philistines and to the border of Egypt.  He had dominion over all the region west of the Euphrates River, from Tiphsah (modern Syria) to Gaza, over all the kings west of the River, and there was peace on all sides around him (ref. I Kings 4:21, 24).  Solomon was a scientist, a businessman with vast enterprises (ref. I Kings 4:26), a poet (ref. I Kings 4:32), moralist, and preacher.  (ref. I Kings 4 & 9).

So the question is...is it possible to be a believer and be intelligent?  Absolutely!  History if filled with men and women with extraordinary intelligence, that believe in the one true living God. Solomon is a perfect example of that.   

No comments: